Are you a Nurse Life Care Planner who is needing to re-certify your credentials? Take time to see the process involved with this below.
Certification for nurse life care planners is recognized for a period of five years at which time the candidate must retake and pass the current Certification Examination for Nurse Life Care Planners or meet such alternative requirements in effect at that time in order to retain certification.
The CNLCP® recertification criteria includes verification of 60 continuing education units (i.e. CEU’s or credit hours) in nurse life care planning, or completion of at least 12 academic semester credits of nursing coursework related to nurse life care planning at the licensee’s current level of licensure or higher.
Applications for Recertification along with appropriate documentation supporting the completion of the above CNLCP® Certification Board recertification criteria is to be submitted as follows:
- Completed application and fees must be received by December 1 (if renewal is January), March 1 (if renewal is April), June 1 (if renewal is July), or September 1 (if renewal is October) for the year of renewal.
- Verified with a Provider Certificate of Course Completion that includes verification of the course hours. The Certificate of Course Completion should also include the name of the Course Provider, Course Title, Provider Name, Date, and Location of Course.
- Candidate must maintain an active, without restrictions, RN license throughout the certification period of five years.
- If the recertification application is delinquent but received within 30 days of its expiration, a late fee will be added to the application fee.
- If the recertification application is delinquent and received beyond 30 days of expiration, the candidate is no longer able to use the designation of CNLCP® and must submit to retesting at the full testing fee.
- Candidate is responsible for maintaining a file of Certificates of Attendance/Course Completion and all continuing education units for five years from date of their certification.
The CNLCP® Certification Board points of credit renewal system is designed to encourage professional development. It allows the CNLCP to select from a variety of educational activities that meet professional and personal needs to renew the CNLCP® credential a total of 60 points of credit are needed every five years for renewal. Candidates maintain their actual documentation of CEU’s, however, they must fill out the forms completely with all the information requested.
Credit Hours for Recertification can be earned through:
Category 1: Continuing Education Hours: One hour (60 minutes) of approved nursing continuing education pertaining to life care planning = 1 contact hour. Example of courses* that would be approved: Life Care Planning (SCI, TBI, prosthetics, amputations, burns, chronic pain), Nurse Case Management, Medical/Health, Nursing process. Course outlines should be submitted to the CNLCP® Certification Board for review/approval of contact hours 90 days prior to the application renewal.
Category 2: Academic Credit: Verification of the 12 academic semester credits of nursing coursework related to nurse life care planning. Course semester outlines should be submitted to the CNLCP® Certification Board for review/approval of contact hours 90 days prior to the application for renewal.
Category 3: Presentations: Five points of credit for each presentation, for which national or state approved continuing education has been granted to participants, for a maximum of 10 per 5 year renewal period. Presentation outlines should be submitted to the CNLCP® Certification Board for review/approval of contact hours 90 days prior to the application for renewal.
Category 4: Publications or Research: Publications or research related to nurse life care planning article should be submitted to the CNLCP®Certification Board for review/approval of contact hours 90 days prior to the application renewal.
Category 5: Item Writing/Test Questions: 1 point, credit for every five questions submitted that are supported by evidence based nursing/medical references for a maximum of 10 contact hours per 5 year renewal period. Questions with reference supported answers should be submitted directly to the CNLCP® Certification Board through website or mail. Please click here for the Item Writing Guide.
Category 6: AANCLP® Executive Board, CNLCP® Certification Board, AANLCP® Committee Participation: 10 contact hours per year with documented or verified annual participation will be awarded. Participation is defined as 85% participation on the committee. The maximum points of credit that can be earned are 20 points in a five year period.